Home ownership is a big step for any family, and owning a custom home built to your specifications can make the experience even better. Building a house is more affordable than you think, but the process takes careful planning and consideration. With so many decisions to make, such as, how to find the right custom home builder, allow us to make the entire process an easy one. If you’re ready to get into your dream home, take some time to learn more about the possibilities of a custom home!
The Advantages of
Building a Custom Home
Building a custom modular home allows you to get your dream home in move-in ready so you can start living the life you’ve always wanted.
Build a home that’s 100% yours
Every house has a history built by the families who live there. Start making your home’s history from the start with your own customizations and features that fit your family’s lifestyle.
Get exactly what you want
If you’re thinking about updating an existing house, keep in mind renovations can take weeks or even months depending on the project. A “fixer upper” may seem like a great deal, but it could be years before you get a house exactly the way you want it to be.
No maintenance surprises
Buying an existing home always comes with risks. Even if it looks sublime on the outside, your new house could have hidden issues which lead to costly repairs or renovations down the line.
What is a Modular Home?
A modular home is a fully customizable house that’s different from a traditional “stick built” house in that it’s built off-site before being transferred to your land. Each ‘module’ is custom built to your specifications, and then delivered to your lot for assembly.
Other than the construction process, there are very few differences between a modular home and a traditional “stick-built” home. Once it’s finished, you won’t be able to tell your home wasn’t built using traditional methods! You will, however, get to enjoy all the benefits that come with going modular.
Common Modular Home Myths
Don’t let your decision to build a custom modular home be held back by these common myths.
- Do all modular homes look the same?
Many people are looking for something special in a new house, and are concerned about building a “cookie-cutter” home. At Carolina Custom Homes, you have the freedom to design your own custom modular home! They can fit any architectural style or layout you want. If you can dream it, we can do it.
- Are modular homes just cheap custom homes?
While it’s true that modular homes are an affordable way to get the custom home you want, they can be built to accommodate any budget and style, and even high-end custom homes can be modular.
- Aren’t modular homes the same as trailers or manufactured pre-fab houses?
Not at all. Modular homes are safer, grow their value over time, and offer many more customization options such as multi-story floor plans, roof pitch, siding, and much more.
What can you Customize in a Modular Home?
A custom-built modular home can be designed to fit any style. From layout and house style to finishes, flooring, colors, and everything in between, you can get exactly what you want from your custom home.
Start with a floor plan you like, then make it you own with a variety of customizations and add-ons.
- Floor plan
A modular home is an affordable and efficient way to get the home you want, often in less time and with fewer hassles than a traditional stick-built home. If you’re thinking about building a house, a custom modular home is a great option!
The Cost of
Building a Custom Modular Home
Like any custom home, the cost of a modular home will vary based on the floor plan and upgrades you choose. If you’re a first-time homebuyer, it might surprise you to learn that building an affordable custom home is easier than you think.
Can I Afford to Build a House?
Many people hesitate to contact a custom home builder because they aren’t sure whether they can afford to build a house.
Take these costs into consideration:
Our Tips for First-Time Homebuyers:
- Don’t settle.
Many people are tempted to jump into building a house that doesn’t fit their needs due to their budget. Don’t get caught with buyer’s remorse–it’s worth it to hold out until you can afford all those “must-haves” on your list.
- Factor in ALL costs.
The cost of building a house includes several costs you might not think to consider compared to buying an existing home, such as building permits, equipment rental, and other fees. Talk to your builder about these extra costs while determining your budget.
Building an affordable custom home is easier than you think! Download our free guide to help you determine your budget.
The cost of building a house is comparable to buying an existing house, but with one major benefit: Getting exactly what you want, move-in ready!
Building Your Custom Home
The process of building a custom home can be an exciting and daunting time. There are a lot of steps to follow, so it’s important to find the right builder to guide you through the process from start to finish.
Finding the Right Custom Home Builder
Building a custom home is a huge investment. You want to be sure you’ve chosen the right builder who can provide the quality and customization you’re looking for. Here are our tips for selecting a builder.
- Do your research. Check out online reviews for local home builders in your area, or ask a friend or family member for referrals.
- Take a tour of their model homes to check the quality of their work, and to get a feel for certain floor plans!
- Ask lots of questions so you can be sure you and your builder are on the same page when it comes to your new home.
Learn the 5 standards you should expect from your custom home builder.
How do I Choose a Floor Plan?
Choosing a custom modular home floor plan can be one of the most exciting parts of building a custom home, but it can also be quite stressful. With so many floor plans available, plus the ability to customize each one, how do you choose the right floor plan for your family?
Here are a few questions you can ask yourself during your floor plan search:
- How many bedrooms do I need?
- What’s my price range?
- What style do I want?
- Will the floor plan fit the size and shape of my lot?
- What are my “must-haves”?
- What are the pros and cons of the floor plans I’m considering?
Still not sure which floor plan is right for you? Try talking to your builder. They’ll listen to your needs and will be able to make recommendations.
Our Custom Home Floor Plans
Carolina Custom Homes of Burlington, NC offers hundreds of floor plans to fit any budget or style, including open concept floor plans, multi-story plans, and much more. Browse all of our available floor plans or check out our signature series collections below.
With many home plans starting below $100,000, our Value Series contains a variety of floor plans which are perfect starter homes. Browse our collection of single story 2- and 3-bedroom floor plans and find the perfect home for your family.
Browse our available floor plans in our Platinum Series for a gorgeous selection of single family homes in a variety of styles and layouts, including open concept floor plans.
Our Signature Series floor plans showcase all the possibilities building a custom modular home has to offer. Browse a variety of mid-sized floor plans in different styles, including craftsman homes, ranch homes, traditional homes, and much more.
What’s the process of building a custom modular home?
- Start with your lot. If you don’t already own land, it’s a good idea to find a suitable lot before you start the building process.
- Choose your floor plan. Your builder can help you find the right fit for your lot and your lifestyle.
- Once you’ve decided on a floor plan, your next step is to finalize your finances and submit your plans to your builder.
- Next, your modular home will be constructed in pieces off-site in a climate-controlled setting, then transported to your lot.
- Your home’s modules will be assembled on-site, with multiple inspections at each stage to ensure quality.
- After assembly, we finish by hooking up utilities, adding additional siding, and installing any appliances and fixtures.
- Move-in day!
With so many customization options,
how do you choose?
Planning every detail of your new home is no small task. To avoid getting overwhelmed by too many decisions, take time to prioritize what’s most important to you and your family.
What affects resale value?
You probably aren’t putting too much thought into selling your home before it’s even been built, but when choosing your home upgrades and features it’s important to think about how your decisions might affect the resale value of your home in the future.
- Location: Think about your location before purchasing a lot. Will there be future developments in the area? Are you close to schools and amenities?
- Layout: Does your home have a good flow? Are the bedrooms separate from the living spaces? A good layout is a huge selling point.
- Upgrades: If you have extra room in your budget, consider putting it toward some value-adding upgrades, such as an updated kitchen.
- Style: Shag carpets and elaborate columns might fit your style, but be prepared to remove them in the future if you plan to sell.
Which home upgrades should you prioritize?
Major home renovations can be costly, time consuming, and can leave you and your family struggling to live comfortably in a construction zone for weeks or even months. Most home additions are worth the added cost because they’re easier (and cheaper) to add during the construction process.
- Structural and layout upgrades such as ceiling height and room additions are generally much more expensive when added to an existing house.
- An upgraded kitchen or bathroom adds resale value to any home.
- Energy efficient upgrades to your windows, roof, HVAC system, and insulation will reduce your monthly energy bills and save you money in the long run.
- Extra storage space is never a bad thing. Make sure you have plenty of closets and storage for each room of the house.
Other Details to Consider
Think about how you use your current living space. What little things about your home or apartment do you take for granted, and what would you change if you could? Make a list to help yourself remember those small changes that will make your custom home even better.
- The placement and availability of outlets. Where will you need to plug in electronics?
- Will each room have enough natural light during the day? Will window placement affect how you arrange your furniture?
- Where will your lighting fixtures be? Will you want any extras such as ceiling fans or dimmer switches for certain rooms?
- Do you have enough exterior access to outlets and water spigots? Where will you need to set up a hose or plug in your holiday lights?
If you’re ready to start planning your dream home, our home experts are ready help!
Building an affordable custom home requires careful planning and consideration, but your planning will pay off when it’s time to build your dream home. Carolina Custom Homes of Burlington, NC builds custom homes for homeowners across North Carolina, including these areas: