Homeownership is a big step for any family. This is the place where you’ll make memories together for years to come, so why consider the benefits of building your own modular home?
The truth is, building a custom modular house is more affordable than you’d think, but creating the perfect home does take careful planning and consideration. With so many decisions to make, Carolina Custom Homes of Burlington is here to help. Our mission is to simplify the modular home building process for homeowners, so you can finally get the home of your dreams.
The Benefits of Building a Custom Home
The age-old question first time home buyers ask themselves is whether they should buy or build their first home. While it’s tempting to buy your first home, creating a custom modular home allows you to get your dream home in a matter of months, so you can start living the life you’ve always wanted.
Build a home that’s 100% yours
Every house has a history and story, made by the families who live there. Instead of sharing that journey, you and your family can create your own by building a custom home. Creating your own home means you’ll enjoy the unique amenities and features that fit your family.
Get exactly what you want
Even though it’s tempting to update an existing house, keep in mind renovations can take weeks or even months to finish, depending on the project. A “fixer-upper” may seem like a great deal, but it could be years before you get a house exactly the way you’d like. With a custom modular home, you get what you want the first time around.
No maintenance surprises
Buying an existing home always comes with risks. Even if it looks sublime on the outside, your new house could have hidden issues that lead to costly repairs or renovations down the line. A brand new home means you and your family can live with peace of mind.
What is a Modular Home?
A modular home is a fully customizable house that’s different from a traditional “stick-built” house in that it’s built off-site before being transferred to your land. Each ‘module’ is custom-made to your specifications and then delivered to your lot for assembly.
Other than the construction process, there are minimal differences between a modular home and a traditional “stick-built” home. Once it’s finished, you won’t be able to tell your home wasn’t built using traditional methods! You will, however, get to enjoy all the benefits that come with going modular. When we compare the benefits of building a stick-built home vs. a modular home, a modular home is the faster way to attain your dream home, and the results will be just as beautiful!
The Pros and Cons of Modular Homes
When comparing the pros and cons of modular homes to stick-built homes, plenty of people ask if there’s a downside to modular homes? The short answer – no! While there aren’t many differences between stick-built homes vs. modular homes, there are plenty of myths about building a modular home that can affect your decision.
Overall, when comparing the pros and cons of modular homes to stick-built homes, modular homes offer a variety of benefits, including:
Common Modular Home Myths
Usually, when homeowners ask us about the pro’s and con’s of modular homes, it’s because they’re under the impression that modular homes and stick-built homes are the same or that modular homes aren’t built to last. These modular home myths couldn’t be further from the truth! Don’t let your decision to create a custom modular home be held back by these common modular home misconceptions – we’re here to clear the air once and for all.
Do all modular homes look the same?
Many people are looking for something special in a new house and are concerned about building a “cookie-cutter” home. At Carolina Custom Homes, you have the freedom to design your own custom modular home! Our series of modular floor plans can fit any architectural style or layout you want. If you can dream it, we can do it.
Are modular homes cheap?
While it’s true that modular homes are an affordable way to get the custom home you want, they can be built to accommodate any budget and style – even high-end custom homes can be modular. The modular home customization possibilities are endless during our design phase and allow you to create the perfect home for your family.
Are modular and stick-built the same?
Not at all. Modular homes are safer, grow their value over time, and offer many more customization options such as multi-story floor plans, roof pitch, siding, and much more.
As a potential homeowner, you might be curious just how customizable a modular home is. Well, we have good news – a modular home is 100% customizable! From the layout and appliances to finishes, flooring, colors, and everything in between, you can get what you want from your custom modular home. You can now create the perfect floorplan for you and your family, with our team of designers by your side. Start with a floor plan you like, then make it your own with various customizations and add-ons.
- Floor Plan
- Ceiling Height
- Roof Pitch
At Carolina Custom Homes of Burlington, our modular home customization process is very straightforward. If you’re ready to build your dream home, our team of designers will help you every step of the way! All you have to do is complete the following steps.
The Cost of
Building a Custom Modular Home
Like any custom home, the cost of a modular home will vary based on the floor plan and upgrades you choose. If you’re a first-time homebuyer, it might surprise you to learn that building an affordable custom home is easier than you think.
Take these costs into consideration:
Our Tips for First-Time Homebuyers:
- Don’t settle.
Many people are tempted to jump into building a house that doesn’t fit their needs due to their budget. Don’t get caught with buyer’s remorse–it’s worth it to hold out until you can afford all those “must-haves” on your list.
- Factor in ALL costs.
The cost of building a house includes several costs you might not think to consider compared to buying an existing home, such as building permits, equipment rental, and other fees. Talk to your builder about these extra costs while determining your budget.
Building an affordable custom home is easier than you think! Click the button below to access our free guide to help you determine your budget.
The cost of building a house is comparable to buying an existing house, but with one major benefit: Getting exactly what you want, move-in ready!
Building Your Custom Home
The process of building a custom home can be an exciting and daunting time. There are a lot of steps to follow, so it’s important to find the right builder to guide you through the process from start to finish.
Finding the Right Custom Home Builder
Building a custom home is a huge investment. You want to be sure you’ve chosen the right builder who can provide the quality and customization you’re looking for. Here are our tips for selecting a builder.
- Do your research. Check out online reviews for local home builders in your area, or ask a friend or family member for referrals.
- Take a tour of their model homes to check the quality of their work, and to get a feel for certain floor plans!
- Ask lots of questions so you can be sure you and your builder are on the same page when it comes to your new home.
Learn the 5 standards you should expect from your custom home builder.
How do I Choose a Floor Plan?
Choosing a custom modular home floor plan can be one of the most exciting parts of building a custom home, but it can also be quite stressful. With so many floor plans available, plus the ability to customize each one, how do you choose the right floor plan for your family?
Here are a few questions you can ask yourself during your floor plan search:
- How many bedrooms do I need?
- What’s my price range?
- What style do I want?
- Will the floor plan fit the size and shape of my lot?
- What are my “must-haves”?
- What are the pros and cons of the floor plans I’m considering?
Still not sure which floor plan is right for you? Try talking to your builder. They’ll listen to your needs and will be able to make recommendations.
Our Custom Home Floor Plans
Carolina Custom Homes of Burlington, NC offers hundreds of floor plans to fit any budget or style, including open concept floor plans, multi-story plans, and much more. Browse all of our available floor plans or check out our signature series collections below.
With many home plans starting below $100,000, our Value Series contains a variety of floor plans which are perfect starter homes. Browse our collection of single story 2- and 3-bedroom floor plans and find the perfect home for your family.
Browse our available floor plans in our Platinum Series for a gorgeous selection of single family homes in a variety of styles and layouts, including open concept floor plans.
Our Signature Series floor plans showcase all the possibilities building a custom modular home has to offer. Browse a variety of mid-sized floor plans in different styles, including craftsman homes, ranch homes, traditional homes, and much more.
What’s the process of building a custom modular home?
- Start with your lot. If you don’t already own land, it’s a good idea to find a suitable lot before you start the building process.
- Choose your floor plan. Your builder can help you find the right fit for your lot and your lifestyle.
- Once you’ve decided on a floor plan, your next step is to finalize your finances and submit your plans to your builder.
- Next, your modular home will be constructed in pieces off-site in a climate-controlled setting, then transported to your lot.
- Your home’s modules will be assembled on-site, with multiple inspections at each stage to ensure quality.
- After assembly, we finish by hooking up utilities, adding additional siding, and installing any appliances and fixtures.
- Move-in day!
With so many customization options,
how do you choose?
Planning every detail of your new home is no small task. To avoid getting overwhelmed by too many decisions, take time to prioritize what’s most important to you and your family.
What affects resale value?
You probably aren’t putting too much thought into selling your home before it’s even been built, but when choosing your home upgrades and features it’s important to think about how your decisions might affect the resale value of your home in the future.
- Location: Think about your location before purchasing a lot. Will there be future developments in the area? Are you close to schools and amenities?
- Layout: Does your home have a good flow? Are the bedrooms separate from the living spaces? A good layout is a huge selling point.
- Upgrades: If you have extra room in your budget, consider putting it toward some value-adding upgrades, such as an updated kitchen.
- Style: Shag carpets and elaborate columns might fit your style, but be prepared to remove them in the future if you plan to sell.
Which home upgrades should you prioritize?
Major home renovations can be costly, time consuming, and can leave you and your family struggling to live comfortably in a construction zone for weeks or even months. Most home additions are worth the added cost because they’re easier (and cheaper) to add during the construction process.
- Structural and layout upgrades such as ceiling height and room additions are generally much more expensive when added to an existing house.
- An upgraded kitchen or bathroom adds resale value to any home.
- Energy efficient upgrades to your windows, roof, HVAC system, and insulation will reduce your monthly energy bills and save you money in the long run.
- Extra storage space is never a bad thing. Make sure you have plenty of closets and storage for each room of the house.
Other Details to Consider
Think about how you use your current living space. What little things about your home or apartment do you take for granted, and what would you change if you could? Make a list to help yourself remember those small changes that will make your custom home even better.
- The placement and availability of outlets. Where will you need to plug in electronics?
- Will each room have enough natural light during the day? Will window placement affect how you arrange your furniture?
- Where will your lighting fixtures be? Will you want any extras such as ceiling fans or dimmer switches for certain rooms?
- Do you have enough exterior access to outlets and water spigots? Where will you need to set up a hose or plug in your holiday lights?
If you’re ready to start planning your dream home, our home experts are ready to help!
Building an affordable custom home requires careful planning and consideration, but your planning will pay off when it’s time to build your dream home. Carolina Custom Homes of Burlington, NC builds custom homes for homeowners across North Carolina, including these areas: